Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16, 2013

Summer has arrived!!!
90 degrees with humidity is just yucky! I am walking at about 7 am and still dripping when I get home:( I could only walk 2 days this past week...I bought new shoes and they gave me  a huge blister on my heel:( I am thinking I should be back at it tomorrow. And I was almost up to 5 miles...at least that is the goal again:)
Was home and quilting most of the week. Oh and dog sitting for a really good friend that is moving at the end of the month.
Our bee also went on a great field trip on Friday. We headed 2 1/2 hours south to a town called LaGrange Tx. There is a wonderful Quilt Museum there:)You can check it out here: http://texasquiltmuseum.org/  Kathy took some pictures but I haven't received them yet but will post when I get them:) We also went to a few....4 actually quilt stores.
 First we went to All Around the Block in Giddings and if you couldn't find something you needed there you were out of luck:) Yes I found some Christmas green I need to make another table runner.
Then to Lagrange and the Museum. The quilts were made form 1880-2005. All had a flower theme and most were hand quilted. And I mean lots and lots of hand quilting. The stitches had to be 15 stitches per inch. Amazing! They also had a special exhibit from a lady from Houston. Her quilts were just jaw dropping. all hand applique and hand quilted. WOW! I really wonder if she ever did anything else? NO pics were allowed:(
Then to lunch at Cafe Dobre on the square. White linen tablecloths and white butcher paper on top. Great sandwiches and the owner stopped and visited for a bit:) Met other quilters there too:)
Next was a quilt store  right next door to museum...talk about location location!!! It was called the Quilted Skein and had wonderful fabrics and yarn...luscious yarn! Yes bought more fabrics:) No yarn as I am not a knitter...have tried but no success:(
Then on to Gerline's Quilt Shoppe. She is out in the country in Giddings. What a sweet lady and her grand daughter. Yup found more fabric there:)
Next up on the opposite side of Giddings is Meme's Quilts. She has machines setup for anyone to come sew and also a cabinet for them to keep their projects:) There was a longarm there and lots of fabrics! I used my Bday discount and bought the layer cake there! One of the gals found backing fabric on the sale shelf for $4 a yd and bought it all and got a 30% off end of the bolt on it too! WOW what a deal! Dorothy also showed us some of her patterns she designed and gave us copies. She is an amazing woman!
Ok enough talk!!! Here are pictures of what I worked on all week:

 These are Father's Day Mug Rugs. The red trike is for my FIL. The yellow is for  my father. The Dale Earnhardt is for hubby. They were all loved:)
 

 
This is Mary Belle's lap quilt for her Aunt in Boston. She wanted loops and hearts:)
 


 

Mrs Taylor is feeling much better after her surgery at the beginning of the year:) She is back to sewing:)

This is her football quilt. All the helmets and team names are machine appliqued. She is 88:)


This is her Scotty quilt. The dogs were all carefully cut and then appliqued.

 
Next is  a bright scrap quilt of hers too!


 
Ok I stitched out the embroidery right after I got Bree and finally made it into a table runner. Now I need to quilt it. I am also planning on making a green on.


 
Won these from the Flower Blog Hop. There are selvages and pieces of fabric from a blouse she had made.
 
They came from Canada:)
 
My treasures from Giddings and LaGrange. The feather fabric on the left will be a backing for my zigzag quilt. I bought all he had... 6.667 yds and it was 30% off:) yea!

 
2 more of my modern blocks. This one is just waiting to be sewed together.


Love the polka dots in this one!
 
Sorry for the long post but had to tell you about our field trip!
Have a great week!
 


No comments:

Last Post

 Hi All,  A very busy week and another is heading my way! Lots of quilting got done and lots of errands and gatherings next week:) This is m...